Thursday, February 10, 2005

Return of the Gap

When I was 16 years old, I drove my 12-year-old sister through a drive thru at our favorite fast food fried chicken spot in North Carolina. The person working at the drive thru (small town so everyone knew each other and he was actually my boyfriend at the time) said, “It looks like the little sister is driving the big sister around town”. He thought this was funny. But, it was true – Tiona did look older than me at 12 years old. It was because she was about a DD cup and I was about a B/C at the time. So, people were always telling me that she looked older than me. But by the time I was graduating from high school, I had definitely blossomed. By the time I was a freshman in college, I, myself, was a 40 D and the comments became, “Wow, you’re catching up with your little sister now!”.

Well, when you are that big, you tend to shy away from certain styles of clothing. For instance, neither my sister nor I owned a single button down shirt. Everything was a pullover. And if we did have a button down shirt, it was strictly to wear open over a pullover shirt or t-shirt just for a “look”. We didn’t dare try to button it! However, I have since lost a significant amount of weight (40 pounds or so) and the size of my chest obviously changed with that. I’ve been hovering around a 38C for the past 2 years, I guess. But, the discovery that I could wear a button down shirt was the biggest prize of all! So, a lot of my work shirts are the button downs where you leave the tail out and it’s kinda fitted to your body. Well, today, my husband and I slept a little late so, I threw on an old faithful button down and ran out the door. As I’m walking into work, I see my reflection…OH NO!! I’M GAPPING!! It has returned. This shirt that I am wearing will no longer close in an attractive way across my chest. It never occurred to me that the full 1.5 cup size that I have increased since becoming pregnant would relegate me back to my pullover shirts so soon…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that problem too, so I can relate! I read a suggestion in a magazine, to use attach a piece of velcro to your shirt where the gap would be, to stop that from happening. However, I don't know exactly how you're supposed to go about afixing the velcro, or where you even get velcro for that matter. Hmm. Well, now I'm going to have to dig through my magazines and try to find it again! ;) I'll keep you posted. ;)

- Amber
http://amber.tangerinecs.com

Tomika said...

A friend of mine at work gave me a piece of double-sided tape (that you might use to hang a poster or something - classic office supply that we had on hand at the time) to try. Seemed like a good idea when she mentioned it. Ummm...no...that isn't made to stick to fabric. So, that didn't work! I imagine that the major problem with any of these solutions is the ability to afix the fix to your clothing! sigh...