Monday, July 17, 2006

Times - they are a'changin...

After being out of town for an entire week, Jayla was so excited to get back to the day care this morning. When we walked in, her back was to her teacher, Ms. J. Ms. J said, "Good Morning!" and Jayla started looking all around trying to find where the familiar voice was coming from. Then she got all jumpy with excitement as I was trying to unbuckle her car seat. When I carried her over to Ms. J, she had a big grin on her face and instantly reached out to hug Ms. J. Then we put her on the floor to play and with a huge smile on her face, she started giggling and waving at the two little boys that were already sitting on the mat. Then, she topped it all off in a fit of clapping. I was so, so, so happy that Jayla was so happy to be back at her school and into her routine again.

So, I got Jayla and her stuff all checked in with Ms. J and as I was walking out Ms. J says, "Oh - I have something to give you." She hands me a letter and says, "The school is closing." My little heart just dropped. She went on to explain that the school owner has leukemia and his condition continues to worsen. He is now on a list for a bone marrow transplant. If he does, in fact, get the transplant, he will basically be out of commission for a year or so and his wife will have to be constantly assisting him. So, in an effort to streamline their lives during this ordeal, they have decided to close our school location. Those students who are currently enrolled have been offered a spot at their other school, which is bigger and way inconvenient for our family morning commute. Our location is being bought by a different school in the area and they have also offered the existing students a spot. Ms. J is not sure what she will do but, says she will probably just go back to the other school (which is where she came from originally before our location opened) and work her 5 years to retirement. So, I am very sad about this whole situation...especially because I know that Jayla loves it there and I love it there and everything will change as of August 11, 2006. (just 13 days before Jayla's birthday!!!)

No comments: