Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I took off work yesterday. Jayla had her 6-month check-up so, I could have only worked a 1/2 day anyway. Her check-up went very well. She weighed in at 15 pounds, 11 ounces and measured about 26 inches. Both of these measurements were in the 50th percentile. At her 4-month check-up she was also 50th percentile for both measurements. So, yesterday, upon finding out that her size is still exactly in the middle for children her age, I told her, "Jayla, you are exactly average!". The child burst into tears!! I am not even making this up. She made me apologize for calling her average. While I was apologizing, I realized how bad it sounded to call my child average and I realized that I would hate it (probably burst into tears too) if someone called me average. I solemnly vow to never call my child average again - I must always remember that she is nothing short of exceptional...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you knew you hurt her feelings and apologized.... You are already such a great mom!