Friday, February 10, 2006

What was I thinking?

Last night, my husband had another basketball game. Jayla and I went. Of course, the other wives wanted to hold her and play with her. I warned them that she was sick. My pharmacy tech friend was asking me if I was giving her any medicine. I explained that I hate medicine and never take it. And unfortunately, I have decided that Jayla must hate medicine too and I never give it to her either. Plus, I had given her some medicine when we were out of town over Christmas and she slept NOT A WINK that night. I vowed to never do it again.

But still, when I got home, I was thinking more about the medicine thing. I decided to go ahead and try to give Jayla a small dosage of some infant decongestant. I would feel selfish if I didn't do it. She took it with a smile, then sopped up some oatmeal, and nursed for almost 2 hours (I fell asleep and I'm sure she did too so, it wasn't a solid 2 hours). So, when she went to bed, I figured it'd be all good and I'd see her in the morning. But, Jayla decided that "morning" was 3:30am and we went through a similar scenario as we had 2 months ago when I gave her medicine the last time! Finally, at 5:00am, we shut her in our closet where we couldn't hear her and went back to sleep. I have no idea what she did between 5am and 7am.

Now I'm serious - no more medicine for Jayla...or at least not any infant Robitussin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My doctor said to give my son Children's motrin to help with being congested. Yes...children's motrin for an infant. It threw me off. He is 4 months old and weighs 12 lbs. They said to give him 1/2 tsp. It actually works. There is something in it that works...don't know what it is, but it really does work. You may ask your doctor about it. That shouldn't keep her up. I know it doesn't my son. I didn't know they even had infant's Robitussin. Also, they have those outlet vapor things, the Pedia Care ones are what I bought for his room and they seem to work wonders. It has a night light on it, but he breathes so much better and sleeps a lot better at night with them. You can use those with them being as young as 3 months too. I just thought the suggestions may help some...it wouldn't hurt to run it by Jayla's doctor though.

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention if she was nasal congested or chest congested. The stuff I mentioned is what my doctor recommended for nasal congestion. Just something to think about I guess. They also have a Vicks Baby Rub which is for babies that you can put on her chest. Just some ideas I guess. Also, why not try giving her the medicine during the day when you are home and see if it keeps her awake and then you'll know if you should give it to her at bed time or how long before bed time to give it to her.