Monday, November 17, 2008

Pineapple and Oatmeal Lasagna

On Saturday night, the three of us went to dinner and then ran by the grocery store afterwards. My intent was just to pick up a few things so that I could successfully make a lasagna for dinner on Sunday. With that information, I present to you our grocery receipt:


Two things do not belong on that receipt nor in a lasagna. And to help you out just a little, item #7 is a dozen eggs. If you guessed that the pineapples and the oatmeal do not belong then, you are correct. If you did not guess those two things, then I'm curious about your lasagna recipe.

Jayla managed to slip the pineapples and oatmeal into the hand basket that my husband was carrying around the store...without him noticing! The funny thing is that while I was in the store frantically searching for the ricotta cheese that was not where I thought it should be, I noticed the oatmeal in the basket. The following conversation occurred between me and my husband:

Me: Oh, you're getting some oatmeal?
Him: No, why would I do that? You know I don't eat breakfast.
Me: Oh, well, I guess you can take it to work with you.
Him: [look of bewilderment and confusion]

Now, at this point normal couples would have probably tried to clear up the misunderstanding. But, we are so used to misunderstanding each other that we both just dropped the conversation...and the oatmeal stayed in the basket.

Later, as my husband was putting our merchandise on the conveyer belt in the check-out line, I noticed the pineapples. I didn't say anything this time. I just thought to myself, "hmmm...he's getting all kinds of things for himself". Meanwhile, he did not even notice himself putting the unwanted items on the conveyer belt because he was too busy foiling Jayla's plans to sneak candy items into the basket and/or directly onto the conveyer belt. And as clever as my husband thought he was for putting the candy back, Jayla already had 2 up on him...he never even noticed.

So, when we got home, as he unpacked the groceries:

Him: Why'd you get these pineapples?
Me: I didn't get them. I thought you did.
Me and Him: [small giggles]
Him: Jayla, did you get these pineapples?
Jayla: Yes, I want to drink the juice.
Me: [hysterical laughter!]

I then explained the whole oatmeal conversation to him and it made much more sense that time around. I think we laughed for the next 20 minutes. More than anything my husband was upset that Jayla picked up the plain oatmeal as he explained, "You know what plain means? TASTELESS!" And I officially rolled on the ground, laughing, when he said, "Did we even go down the canned fruit aisle!?!?" Which, no, we didn't. I saw the oatmeal display but, I have no idea where she even found those pineapples.

Now, I'm trying to think of something to do with plain instant oatmeal...because apparently no one in my house actually eats it and I don't dare waste the $1.99!

And also...I am done with "lite" ricotta cheese. Sunday's lasagna was my first time trying it and something got lost in the translation. I'm going back to my tried and true part-skim version.

No comments: