Monday, February 16, 2009

No place like home...

I'm leaving tomorrow...going to DC for a conference for five days. I don't want to go. I mean, I want to do what I'm going to do there. But, I don't want to leave my family for that long. They will be fine without me. But, I know they will miss me and I will miss them.

Jayla cannot remember a time when I've gone anywhere without her. She's been asking me all weekend if she can come with me. She says she doesn't want to stay with Daddy because "Daddy is not nice" - translation: "he is not a pushover like you, mama!" And while those sorts of comments saddle me with guilt about leaving, I can't help thinking that this will still be a good time for me to get away from the daily grind of all that I am responsible for when I'm at home.

And yet, I know that I will be so, so glad when it's time to come home on Sunday and wipe the crusted snot off Jayla face while trying to cook dinner, fold laundry, read an article for school, and listen to whatever my husband decides that he absolutely has to talk to me about at that exact moment.

No comments: