Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Changes and new beginnings

I can certainly never be accused of having much interest in political affairs but, this time is just a little different. Possibly because during the current economic recession, I happen to technically be an adult and for the first time ever, my husband and I are in a situation where his job actually does matter in our ability to pay our mortgage and feed our child(ren!). At all other points in our marriage, I was also contributing enough to the household income that I could've kept us afloat (and obviously, vice versa) if the need arose. But, our current situation is different so, I have to at least halfway care about the economic decisions that will be made under this new administration...so, I watch and wait with anticipation of the change that I've heard so much about.

Speaking of change, today is also technically my first day of classes. Except, I don't have classes on Tuesday this semester so, I spent today much like I've spent the last 6 weeks - sitting on the couch, trying to decide when I should take my nap. But, oh buddy, tomorrow begins the commuting back and forth again. It will be a really, really long day...especially considering the whole third trimester thing. I'll leave the house at 7:00am-ish and return at 10:00pm-ish, having driven about 205 miles and sat in two 3-hour long classes. I will not see Jayla on Wednesdays at all this semester. But, I keep thinking that this is going to be better than driving multiple days a week for classes. I have been wrong before.

Finally, after sleeping on the whole 4-day student of the week issue, I realized that it is only appropriate for Jayla to begin her reign as Student of the Week on the same day that our first Black President begins his first term.


Don't you just get the feeling that she will one day make history with some ground-breaking accomplishment(s)?

2 comments:

Pamie said...

Is it just me or does Jayla look tall in this picture? I love the poster and you are a right...it was very fitting for her to reign this week given the historic moment! Ms. Jayla is destined to make history one day so she might as well learn from President Obama!

BTW...I found Tynesha on Facebook! I told her you were expecting again and that she should look you up. Oh yeah...thanks for the card! I got it! Jayla is sooo photogentic. She LOVES the camera!

Jennifer said...

Tomika,
I'm not sure that you would read my comments again, so I wanted to thank you for the comment on my most recent post. It really means alot to me to have "strangers" rooting me on. I trust God will provide, but it's always nice to see examples where he is doing so in others lives as well. Thanks again for taking time to encourage me.
Jennifer