Wednesday, January 14, 2009

25 Weeks

It was at this point in my pregnancy with Jayla that I started to stress a little about the reality that I was actually going to be a mama and that I might want to make a few preparations for her arrival. I remember thinking that 15 weeks seemed like such a short amount of time until my life would be flipped upside down. Little did I know, I only had 12 weeks of pregnancy left!

This time around, the 25-week milestone is mocking my efforts to even come up with a name for this child. We've got nothing on the name front. We are too lazy to start the furniture swapping that needs to happen to build the new child's nursery. I haven't even considered what color her nursery will be, which probably means we're going with "builder white" this time around because that's the color her room is currently. In fact, only two rooms in our house are not painted some obnoxious color and her room is one of them. It remains the same color as it was when we moved here almost 7 years ago.

My lack of preparation likely stems from the fact that I can hardly believe that this pregnancy is going by so fast. I'm starting to feel more aches and pains than I ever remember feeling with Jayla and I keep telling myself that I shouldn't be feeling them yet...and then I get a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Oh yeah - I'm almost at third trimester status! Plus, I'm finally beginning to feel this baby move more often and more strongly. I could even see her moving through my shirt on Monday. Daddy and Jayla have also felt her and when I take the time to tell them the baby is moving, I think the fact that this new little person is joining our family sinks in a little better for all of us.

I had a prenatal appointment yesterday that lasted all of 3.5 minutes. Although, I did get a compliment from my doctor on only gaining 6 pounds over Christmas. Ummm...okay, but, I gain 6 pounds every month so, it was just funny to me for her to say it in a good light this time. She also told me that for the second month in a row, my scheduled c-section has apparently not been scheduled. And for the second month in a row, she made a call to "Rhonda" to make sure that it gets scheduled for April 22...which means that if we ever get it scheduled, this baby will be out of me in 14 weeks or less.

In the meantime, I'll be in school (starts next week) and probably denying the fact that this baby will be here at least 2 weeks before the official end of the semester. I was originally taking 12 hours this semester. And then I came to my senses and dropped a class so, that I'm down to my usual 9-hour semester. Of specific interest is that three of those credit hours involve me getting on an airplane and flying to Arlington, VA to attend a conference for 5 days. Should be interesting, considering that (a) I'll be 30 weeks pregnant and flying non-stop across the country (b) my papers that I have written and am also presenting at this conference are directly related to folks that have babies and subsequently continue their careers as employees in somebody's organization (c) I've never been away from Jayla that long (d) Daddy's never been alone with Jayla for that long. But, that all happens next month...the week before I turn 30. So, until then, I'll just be pretending that neither of those things is about to happen...I have never aged well.

3 comments:

Fried Lemon Pie said...

30! 30! 30! I can't wait!!!

Pamie said...

Wow...you really have a busy semester ahead of you. You definitely serve as a role model and inspiration for me. I was really happy to see this update on your pregnancy because for now I am still living vicariously through you. By the way...plz put the Christmas card in the mail...better late than never!! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Ya, and I'm trying to sale a house and move to the Woodlands and quit my job b/c there is no possible way I can get 2 kids ready for me to do the type of job I do. Uhhh, and did I mention we have no room for a nursery in our house...on a good note, we have a name. See you next week.