Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Interesting Doctor Update

Okay, so I went to the doctor today. My appointment was at 10:10. I got there at 10:08 and they called me straight back. I left my urine sample and then waited a few more minutes to be called into an examination room. While I was waiting, I saw a lady who wasn't getting a heartbeat on the doppler - broke my heart.

Anyway, the past 2 weeks or so, I have noticed a major growth spurt. I went from barely feeling pregnant to being uncomfortable almost every time I move. I also have felt alot of stretching in the abdomen area - like my skin is constantly pulling. And my pelvis should not still be connected to my body as it aches with every movement. Most of my stats were normal today - baby heartrate = 152bpm, my bp = 120/70 but, it was no surprise to me when I had gained 8 pounds (how did I exactly estimate how much weight that cake cost me!?!?) and that still wasn't a huge deal until my doctor measured me. In just 2 weeks, I went from 32 cm to 38 cm!! Most importantly, I'm only 34 weeks + 2 days today! So, the doctor sent me over to the Women's hospital for my third ultrasound. She said that it could be one of a few things: 1. I have too much amniotic fluid. 2. The baby is really big. 3. The baby is in an unorthodox position. 4. I'm growing a cake along with my baby in the uterus. :)

So, I called work and asked them to cancel my afternoon meetings and then called my husband to tell him that I was getting another ultrasound. He, too, had a doctor's appointment this morning so, wasn't even at work yet. He came straight over to the hospital. Since I wasn't on the schedule, I was told that it would be about an hour wait and would be fine if we went to grab lunch and came back. So, that's what we did - went to a nearby Wendy's. When we returned to the hospital, they immediately called me back. Well, it turns out that this little girl growing inside of me is now officially growing like a weed! Yes, this is the same child that we had to have back-to-back ultrasounds at 18 and 22 weeks to see if she was growing. And today, she is estimated to be 6 pounds, 3 ounces already. Okay, that is a birth weight - not an "I have 6 weeks left" weight. So, I was right about the sudden onset of aches and pains and sheer growth that I thought I was experiencing. But, one cool thing about having such a late ultrasound is that we could totally see what she looked like. Her cheeks have filled out and she clearly looks exactly like her daddy! - so cute!

I don't yet know what this will mean when my doctor gets the ultrasound results. Will she retest me for gestational diabetes? Will she talk to me about possibly inducing the baby early? As of now, I am scheduled for a regular appointment on Monday, August 15.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...that's a little less than I weighed when I was born. My guess is, she'll check you on the 15th...I go back to the doctor that day too, and possibly induce you as well. Maybe not that week or so, but it's possible. My doctor said I could go into labor anywhere from 36-40 weeks. I'm hoping around 38, but we'll see how that goes. If you didn't have gestational diabetes the last time, I wouldn't think it would be much worse this time. I'll be tuned in for the update. :) Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

You could end up with a chunker like Charlie at 9 lbs 6 oz. :) It is possible she will come early, but also remember that ultrasounds are highly unreliable size estimaters this late in the pregnancy.

I'm still working on your prize :) My computer has been out of commission lately and so I haven't had a chance to email you. Suffice it to say it is baby related and I am making it. Hopefully, I will get it to you before she comes.