Sunday, March 04, 2007

911 Emergency?

Picture it:

Our house. Two Wednesday nights ago. I had just come downstairs to sit with hubby after putting Jayla to bed.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! These were loudest bangs at a front door that I have ever heard in my life! I was pretty sure this person had likely just put his or her fist completely through the front door or had, in fact, hired a small army just to knock on our door.

Hubby and I look at each other like, "What the &*^%?!!?". The doorbell rings. Hubby runs upstairs to look out of the window that overlooks the front porch. It's where we always go if we aren't expecting someone at the door. Meanwhile, more attempts to knock our door off its hinges. The entire house shakes. Literally, I think.

He runs back downstairs, more confused than ever - "It's the police." I am now also more confused than ever.

He goes to the door and finally opens it.

Officer: "We received a 911 call from this house."

Hubby looks at me, "Again, what the *$(^#$*!?!??!"

Me: "It was Jayla." I step up to the door to talk to the officer. "Our daughter was just playing with the phone so she probably did it. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Officer: "That's okay. I have kids of my own and they've done it too. So, are you saying that everything is alright here ma'am?" He looks suspiciously between me and hubby as if to say "this is your last chance to tell me if he has been pouncing on you all night and you did, indeed, dial 911 on an effort to save your very life."

Me: "Yes.", in the most sincere voice as possible. "Everything is just fine here."

Officer: Pulling out a little notepad, "Ma'am, can you give me your name and date of birth?"

I oblige, feeling ever so much like a criminal and hearing the "don't dial 911 unless it's a real emergency because you are diverting resources that could be used to save a person's life at that very moment" commercials run through my head. He tells us good night and gets back into his patrol car that he had left running in the middle of the street with the driver's side door flung open.

Upon closing the door and going back to sitting on the couch...

Hubby says, "We're going to get fined."

I say, "I can't believe it took them like 10 whole minutes to get here. What if you really were trying to strangle me in a tub full of water?"

No comments: