Monday, June 06, 2005

Mr. and Mrs. Productive

Upon returning from our Memorial Day trip to Memphis, it occurred to me that I am going to have a baby! Maybe it's because it was the first time that both sets of our parents (minus my dad because he's back in China for a while) were together so that's all that anyone had to talk about. Maybe it's because my father-in-law was playing loud music for four hours one night and my daughter never stopped shaking her little booty to it. Or maybe it's because my mom put her hand on my stomach and I said, "Move for Grandma" and she immediately did it! Regardless, I realized last week that I had 15 weeks to prepare for this child and in the previous 25 weeks I've done essentially nothing except go to the doctor when I was supposed to!

So, last week I went on a mission - finally decided on some of the fabrics for her room. Yes, even that took me all week after visiting every reasonably priced fabric store that I could find in Houston over the past two months. Then, I decided to order an inexpensive bedding set instead of making absolutely everything in the room!

So, Friday I decided that my weekend plans would include buying the fabric for my rocking chair cushions (I am using the chair that my mom had with me) and finding this baby some furniture!! Friday night, we went to Babies R Us and Baby Depot for the 700th time. It's amazing how you can start to talk yourself into stuff as the weeks creep by. We decided that we finally liked a Babies R Us set. Then Saturday morning we got up early and went to a place called Baby's 1st Furniture in Sugarland. We actually went to two locations of that same store just to see if one was running a "Special" when the other one wasn't. We liked the furniture there, of course, because it was one of those fancier stores with the good, solid wood stuff. Well, of course, it takes 10 - 16 weeks to order any of that furniture (and it was a little bit more $$ than we had originally planned to spend - but, so is our house, our cars, and virtually everything we buy...we aim low but have expensive tastes). So, even if we got our furniture in 10 weeks, I'd be 36 weeks pregnant and I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable waiting that long to get her room together. So, we ended up back at Babies R Us. We finally decided to purchase the Cherry Madison Crib and Combo Changing Table. I think it is one of the more popular sets at BRU but, hey - they'll only be one of them in my house! :) It'll take 7-14 days for them to come in. Maybe that'll give us time to finish getting our stuff out of her room and get it painted - ambitious, I know...

So, we basically spent the whole weekend getting this furniture but, that's a productive weekend for me and my husband. Plus, it was very tiring in this 95-degree weather! Then I worked for about 6 hours yesterday. I am exhausted - great way to start the week...but, at least I've finally got furniture...

No comments: