Monday, June 13, 2005

Welcome to the third trimester!

My due date is 13 weeks from today. Today is the official start of my third trimester! I absolutely cannot believe that I am 2/3 of the way through this thing. It is absolutely FLYING by. Now, I have to say that barring any complications, I do not believe that this child will come on her own either before or on her due date of September 12. I am hoping she will come within a week of it but, trying not to get my hopes up for September 12th. I'm thinking of trying to reprogram my brain to think September 19th, instead...then I won't be dissappointed if she doesn't come on or before her official due date.

It's funny - I find now that it is alot easier to count down than to count up anymore. I kinda lost count right after 20 weeks. I think my pregnancy brain just has an easier time with smaller numbers. So, instead of being 27 weeks pregnant, I like to think of it as "13 weeks to go".

I have been very blessed throughout the first two trimesters of the pregnancy - no morning sickness to speak of in the beginning and no health complications of concern. I have had some swelling but, I think that is complicated by the heat here as it did not start until we hit the hot weather. Plus, it's not that bad now that I'm being more cognizant of my salt intake. I do have some achiness in my joints (primarily the pelvis) but, I think that's just from everything trying to relax so that I can birth this baby. I am so thankful that I am still very comfortable and active. I thought it might be tougher since I was a bigger girl to begin with. I just have nothing that I can really complain about and I pray that this continues through this last trimester.

I think I'm going to breakdown and order the BabyWise book. I've heard plenty of mixed reviews about it but, I was with a group of ladies this weekend and everyone that had a child swore by the book. So, I guess I'll try it...I'll at least thumb through it before she gets here so once she gets here, I can see if it could work for us...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I read BabyWise too. It has lots of good suggestions, but I think as with all "advise" you shouldn't be too rigid. I was pretty lucky that Grace tended to schedule herself, so it was really easy to follow the feeding recomendation. Sleep was a bit harder. I tried to put her down for naps at the appropriate times, but if she wasn't tired, she wouldn't sleep, plus my daycare kind of does there own schedule.

Even now she doesn't always nap well and most days only takes 2 naps for 30 minutes to an hour during the day.

My suggestion, read Babywise, keep the ideas in mind, but don't kill yourself trying to follow it exactly. Once the baby is a couple of months old, you'll be able to decide how to work on the sleep issues. Once your ready for the all night sleeping, I recommend "Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Richard Ferber. We did the Ferber Method (starting around 4 months old) and in less than a week Grace started sleeping all night (8pm to 6am).

Tomika said...

I still haven't ordered the BabyWise book. After I wrote that post, I
did a few Internet searches and found so many people complaining about
how it was ruining babies' health because of rigid feeding structures.
So, that's scary for me - a perfectionist and over-achiever. So, I've
got to take those two hats off before I read that book.