Thursday, February 01, 2007

We need a bucket!

So, my child...the one who took 10 months to grow her first two teeth? Yes. The one who waited until she was 15 months old to grow two more teeth? Yes, yes - that's her. Well, now, at 17 months old she is having her first real experience with teething as it seems all the rest of her teeth are surely coming in at once.

When Jayla grew her first 4 teeth, there were practically no signs of teething - other than the emergence of pearly whites from her gums. And this time? She walks around with no less than 4 fingers in her mouth at any given time. Her mouth is a faucet. A faucet. It's pretty nasty. Jayla has never been a slobbery child, which has apparently spoiled me.

A few months ago, my husband and I volunteered in the church nursery one Sunday. There was a little boy in there that was drooling all over the place. I did not want to touch him. I did not want him to touch Jayla. I thought his parents needed to do something about it and oh, how embarrased they must be that their child can't keep his saliva in his own mouth!

Well, lo, I am now that parent that can't keep my child's saliva in her own mouth. My husband's solution? Last night he says, "Jayla, close your mouth and stop slobbering! You're too old for this." I merely rolled my eyes and looked at him in disgust. My solution? Pretend she isn't doing it and surely, no one will notice.

So, today Jayla is wearing a bib to school. Otherwise, her clothes will be soaked...as her bib was by the time she arrived at school this morning. She has not worn a bib since she was probably 9 or 10 months old. She looks silly in it to me because apparently my husband's 'you're too old for this' attitude has rubbed off on me. But, when I dropped her off, I noticed that there were at least 3 other kids in her room with slobber-stained bibs on. So, at least she's keeping up with the Jones'.

Up next? How Jayla is now the bully in her class...

No comments: