Friday, February 29, 2008

Taking the good with the bad

All week, I've been planning to write this deep post about the trials and triumphs of Jayla being in full-time childcare since she was 16 weeks old. But, it has become clear to me that I am never going to finish that post and it's holding me back from other ground-breaking writing that I could be doing.

So, the gist of that post was going to be that the worst thing about childcare is that you never know what your child is learning. Think: That awful song from last summer about being suicidal. I can't bring myself to look up the actual name or artist of that song because I hate it that much. But, if you've heard it, you know what I'm talking about and you know that no 2-year-old should be singing it.

But, the best thing about childcare has been that I never know what she's learning. Jayla never ceases to amaze me. It started with the small things like drinking out of a cup and feeding herself with a spoon. Things that I never showed her how to do - she just came home one day knowing. And then it was her ABC's and counting to 10 and then 20 and knowing her days of the week and every color that you can throw her way and then, potty-training (we're officially done with that and really, the school did 85.6% of the work!) and most recently she knows her right from her left and can count to 10 in Spanish. I obviously taught her none of this because I don't even know my right from my left!

So, I guess all of that is just to say that having her in full-time childcare has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for our family, despite the occasional trials. And I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't have done it any differently for her.

No comments: