Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Hair Experiment Results

Oh - sorry to keep ya'll waiting. I know you're on the edge of your seats wondering how the hair experiment turned out. Well, the answer is somewhere between 8 and 12 hours. I'm going to go with 9 hours and 17 minutes. That's how long that hairstyle lasted without me feeling compelled to change it up. The photographic evidence -

Here is Jayla Sunday morning after waking up (and eating a chocolate muffin). She refused to sleep with anything on her head to help protect the style on Saturday night. So, it actually may not be quite as bad as I thought it would be:


But as promised, she had to wear it like that to church on Sunday:


Her hairstyle proceeded to die a horrible death throughout Sunday afternoon to the point that this is what she look like at 6pm when we went out to dinner:


However, as I am never one to be defeated, I thought I'd give it another try. What I learned from the first experiment is that Jayla is not going to wear anything on her head to sleep. So, each morning, I'm likely going to hate what happened to the front and sides of her hair while she peacefully slumbered.

So, Sunday night, I decided to try for a combo style where I would twist the back but not the sides and front. I was thinking that even if I could just not have to do the back side of her hair every morning, that would save me some time. So, I spent about 20-ish minutes re-twisting the back on Sunday night and it paid off Monday morning. I only spent 5 minutes on her hair Monday morning! Most importantly, it allowed for 15 more minutes of uninterrupated Backyardigans watching before going to school. Here she is Monday morning before school:



What's great is that I still felt good about sending her to school with it again today, having not redone it. Now, I am going to have to redo it tonight, I'm sure. But, I'm happy with knowing that we may have discovered a style that will last two days with minimal re-working on my part.

I think I may be on a new mission now. I'm trying to decide if braids would last longer. They would certainly take longer to do but, I'm not sure the return would be worth it because braids are never meant to look messy where it is okay for twists to be messy. And now, my friends, you know what I will be thinking about for the rest of the day as opposed to this 20-page paper that I should be writing right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I do have different hair than Jayla, but I understand the 'I have to do SOMETHING with it every morning??!!' dilemma. I love the combo look. It's cute and does still look good after sleeping. And the twists are VERY cute. I really like them. If me reading your blog ever becomes stalkerish, well, just get over it.

Daisy said...

She is so cute! The twists are beautiful, and the combo look sure seems like the right solution.

Angie McCullagh said...

Oh gosh. I can't even get my daughter to sit still for two seconds so I can do her hair. I literally have to chase her around the kitchen table with a brush and bottle of 'No more Tangles'. I give up!

Angie (from AllAdither.com)